Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Fourth Topic : Media Literacy


What is Media Literacy and why is it important for you as FCM students to have it?


Critical Reflection : Media Literacy and its impact on me

1. After referring to Wikipedia, I got to know that media literacy is about approaching, studying, analyzing, experimenting and also evaluating media which are in different kind of forms or genres. Such studies allow people to decode and also facilitate the message which is carried on that particular media form. By decoding message in this way, it actually enables people to know about the role and impact of media and thus being more appreciative.

2. As a FCM student, I actually find this study very useful. This study actually provides me the courage to start my so-called approach and analyzation on the media that happen to be surrounding me. From the research I did, I actually received a lot of extra knowledge compared to the previous time. In fact, sometime I even got inspired from the research I did and thus coming out with my own creation or artwork to convey my message based on some issues to the public. Therefore, I really think that media plays an important role in my life as it allows me to know some of the hidden messages of the artworks.


Personal Reflection On The Class

For this week, we were taught about media representation and cultural stereotypes. From the class, I actually paid more attention on the media representation topic as I really found that very interesting. As a fan for truth, I totally support media representation as most of the time, it is mediating the truth, unlike stereotype. However, I realized another thing as well, that the people nowadays actually prefer more on the stereotype as most of them found it funny to crack some jokes on other people. It creates misunderstanding and discrimination, but people seem to have covered up part of their conscience with all the stereotypes which they think it is delighting. No matter what, I am still preferring the media representation as mediating the truth will always benefit the people.


No comments:

Post a Comment